Sunday, February 2, 2014

how often are you happy in your relationship?

I just got back from a fabulous weekend of celebrating my 5 year anniversary with the sweetest man I could have ever chosen to marry. After a weekend full of laughs, champagne, fun restaurants, shopping, relaxing at the hotel.. we now sit snuggled up with our dogs on the couch, with a blazing fire in the fireplace. This is my kind of happy, and i'm trying to soak up every ounce of it I can. With some of the negative posts i've seen on facebook recently in regards to marriage and relationships.. I felt I needed to share a little on a topic that is very near to my heart.

I have people tell me all the time, "You are so young, marriage won't always stay this exciting" or "Well you are still newlyweds... just wait".

Comments like this infuriate me. I don't want to sit around and wait for that moment when marriage is a little touch or dull. I want to savor and enjoy every moment. My husband and I are pretty well on the same page about everything, whether it is luck or hard work, i'm not really sure. However I know that right now, it doesn't feel hard. It feels fun, comfortable, exciting and full of love, even on the dullest of days. 

Back before I was married (but still dating Seth) the 1st Sex and the City movie came out. While I didn't watch the show until it came on constant repeats on TBS, I absolutely made sure I would go watch the movie. One of my favorite moments of the film, transformed my life and way of thinking. All of the girls were sitting talking as Samantha explained how unhappy she was in her relationship...

Samantha Jones: Relationships aren't just about being happy. I mean, how often are you happy in your relationship?
Charlotte York: Every day.
Samantha Jones: Every day?
Charlotte York: Well, not all day every day but yes, every day.


After hearing this, I decided this would be the preface for how I wanted to view my marriage. Does my husband drive me crazy? Yes, of course he does sometimes (and I drive him equally as crazy). Does he sometimes upset me? Yes, and I hurt his feelings as well (always on accident). Does this ruin my day? Never, ever, ever. Treating him with love and respect is more important to me than staying mad or proving a point. If Seth does something to really irritate or hurt me-- we talk about it, deal with it and move on. We are soon laughing, tickling, joking or snuggling again in a few short minutes. Luckily in our relationship, we don't typically have any big issues to deal with, but I feel confident that we would approach them the same way. 

So you ask, how often am I happy in my relationship? Every damn day! Not all day every day, but every single day I am happy, thankful and full of love. 


Check back later this week to see and read about our fabulous Nashville getaway. There will be lots of places you want to write down so that you can go eat there yourself!

Cheers!

1 comment :

  1. Love this! People make the same remarks about Keith and me. After hearing it so much it sometimes gets hard to just brush off. You and Seth are definitely a couple that Keith and I look up to.

    ReplyDelete